(A) You want to speak to or approach a player signed with another club about signing for you.
- A manager wishing to speak to a player about joining their team, when the player is already registered with another team, MUST ask their club secretary to write to the secretary of the players current club given seven days’ formal written notice of their intention to speak to the player.
- This written notice must be sent by special delivery or recorded post or a written acknowledgment otherwise obtained from the secretary or chairman of the player’s current club (fax or e-mails may be used provided a receipt of acknowledgement is also obtained).
- Once this has been done, the player can be spoken to on or after the eighth day and the player must be registered on or before the 21st day.
- If the player declines your offer to leave their current team and join your team then you cannot approach them again in the same season (the FA season is from 1st July to 31st May).
- You can only approach one player in the same team at any one time.
Once the 7-day Approach Rule has been followed, the club / player can then complete a league transfer form.
Tip: Always ensure that you receive a read receipt / acknowledgement from the player's current club secretary before you make any contact with the player.