Northern Alliance Roundup - 5 January 2019

Peter Mann


How do you stop Newcastle University?  That’s the question now on everybody’s lips after they romped to a 9-0 win away to ten-man Percy Main Amateurs, opening up an impressive fourteen point gap at the top. 

Five up at the break they led through Lee Scott’s first of the afternoon, Conrad Zylko chipped in with a goal, and Olly Walden bagged a twenty minute hat-trick, his first coming from the spot which saw the hosts’ Jack Armstrong dismissed. The second half carried on in the same vein with Joshua Ferguson adding number six, ten minutes after the restart, Scott got his second minutes later before Niza Chilufya got in on the act with a late brace to wrap up the rout. 

Newcastle Blue Star moved joint second with a narrow 3-2 win at home to lowly Gateshead Reserves, the home side netting through Martin Soulsby (penalty), Andrew Smith and Iury De Maraes, Jack Warriner with a brace in a reply whilst Ponteland were held to a 1-1 draw by Whitley Bay A, Max Emmerson cancelling out Gary Cook’s opener for the hosts. 

Phil Airey notched a first half hat-trick on his debut for Alnwick Town helping them on their way to a 4-1 win away to Seaton Delaval, Joseph Threlfall added the fourth for Town before the hosts pulled one back, Jack Watchman netting from the penalty spot. 

Wallington won 3-2 at home to North Shields Athletic, the hosts netting through Josh Laverick, Jake Walton and John Paxton, Michael Begbie and an own-goal in reply whilst Newcastle Chemfica came from behind to win 2-1 at Shankhouse, they leading midway through the first half via Bruce, McLoughlin levelled from the spot before the interval and Fisher notched the winner two minutes from time. 

FC United of Newcastle saw off Second Division opposition to progress in the Bill Gardner Cup, they defeating hosts Coundon & Leeholme 4-3 and Killingworth, with Malcolm Morien firing, picked up where they left off last year, he notched two and Killy won 4-0 at home to Gateshead Rutherford, Konner Lamb, and a debut goal from John Campbell also featuring. 


Newcastle East End led, fell behind, and then went on to pick up their points of the season with a 4-2 win away Gosforth Bohemians, four goals arriving in the second half. The visitors led courtesy of an early own goal after just five minutes, Rowling levelling half an hour later before Spurling gave the hosts twenty minutes into the second period. 
East End though must have had extra punch over the festive period when late efforts from Callum Rodgers, sandwiched between a double from Callum Larnmouth, gave them all three points, and their first win of the season. 

Elsewhere Bedlington doubled up when hitting hosts Longbenton for ten, Andrew Mclellan with four and Chris Conway three in the 10-1 victory and the top three clash finished all square as Cullercoats drew 2-2 with Blyth Spartans Reserves, all goals landing in the opening half hour, Williams and Connor being cancelled out by Shanley and Murray and a Max Anderson treble gave Red Row the points away to Seaton Burn, David Hewitt replying; Wallsend Boys Club and Hexham both picked up 2-1 home wins over Winlaton Vulcans and Felling Magpies respectively. 

In the League Cup Forest Hall saw off the challenge of New Fordley, Harry Johnson with two for the hosts and Jordan Watson the same for the visitors, Hall winning 4-3 and Connor Andrews scored two as Blyth Town progressed at the expense of hosts Prudhoe Youth Club, Town winning 3-1.


Whitley Sporting Club returned to the top of the Second Division at the weekend after they won 3-2 away to Whitburn & Cleadon, and Rothbury were held to a 2-2 draw against visiting Cramlington United. 

Tim Bodley gave Sporting a first half lead which was turned on its head early in the second when Whitburn moved ahead with goals from Alex Chapman and Daniel Wilson, however, the final quarter belonged to the leaders and Dave Adams, he bagging two to steal the win and move them a pint above Rothbury, they being held in a see-saw affair against Cramlington United. 

The Reds led shortly before the interval through Daniel Thompson bit Niall Younger levelled eight minutes after the restart, Luke Taylor then gave United the lead on the hour but the hosts shared the spoils with an equaliser minutes from time through Gareth McCann. 

Willington Quay Saints gate-crashed the top four when they won 4-1 at home to Stobswood, Ross Thirlaway scoring early in each half for a two-goal cushion, Joe Connor then made it three before the hour with Keith Bell pulling one back seventeen minutes from time, Alex Foreman adding number four shortly after. 

Spittal were stunned when they crashed to a 3-1 loss away to Cramlington Town, all goals arriving in the final half hour, John Wyres with two of them and Gavin Agnew the other four minutes from time, Ben Amers replying. 

Richie Clarke and Nick Doyle scored the goals as Seaton Sluice defeated Jesmond 2-0, Andy Mogwo missing a penalty, Blyth won 2-1 against Gateshead Redheugh with Joe Moscrop netting what proved the winner after Kieran Egen had opened the scoring, Chris Smith netting for Redheugh at the death and Wideopen edged visiting Burradon 3-2 with Coundon being dismissed from the Bill Gardner Cup at home to Premier opposition.