Match Report: Bluefin Insurance Women's Cup Final 2017

Wallsend Ladies v Newcastle United Women’s Reserve
Date: 12th May 2017. Kick off 7:30PM.

Venue: Whitley Park, NE12 9FA.

Referee: Mark Baston

Assistants: Gillian Armstrong, Anthony Hogg

Reserve/4th Official: Ryan Kendall

Wallsend B.C Ladies came out as champions in a highly contested cup final at Whitley Park on Friday evening. Two goals from Wallsend captain Lynsey Wilkinson and a late 89th minute strike from Zoe Hornby was enough to defeat Newcastle Women’s Reserve team in 90 minutes.

The cup final began with equal chances from both sides. Lynsey Wilkinson led by example in the first few moments, putting pressure on the Newcastle Women’s defence and nearly netting on six minutes, but her left footed effort failed to trouble Claudia Moan in the Newcastle goal.

Siobhan Jones caused trouble early on down the left wing for Newcastle Women, her pace and trickery allowing her to get a shot off from the edge of the box.

With both teams testing from distance, the first real chance landed to Lynsey Wilkinson. A crunching challenge dispossessed a Newcastle defender which was then squared to Wilkinson who side-footed into the roof of the goal to give Wallsend the lead on the 26th minute.

An equaliser looked on the cards late on in the first half with Elizabeth Fraser scuffing a shot from the edge of the box and Hanna Reid trying to force her way through the Wallsend defence to no avail.

The second-half produced a repeat of the first, with chances created by Newcastle Women’s captain Emily Ellis - her early crossing causing problems for the Wallsend defence.

The second goal of the game was orchestrated from midfield in the 59th minute as Lynsey Wilkinson was played through one on one with the keeper and made no mistake with her top-corner finish from 12 yards.

Newcastle ladies squandered a golden opportunity to get back into the game minutes later when Amy Hargrave was taken down in the penalty area. The resulting penalty was taken by Siobhan Jones but was well anticipated by Kate McTague in the Wallsend goal as she saved to her left, keeping the score line at 2-0.

It seemed like it wasn’t to be Newcastle’s day after the missed penalty and Wallsend pushed for a third goal. Elizabeth Campbell fancied her chances from 25 yards and moments later put one over the bar following a scramble in the box.

The third goal eventually came through super sub Zoe Hornby on 89 minutes, blasting the ball into the top corner with her left foot which halted any chance of a late comeback from Newcastle.

Wallsend saw the game out in the last few minutes after clearing two Amy Hargrave goal-bound strikes off the line which helped keep a well deserved clean sheet for the girls in green.

The whistle blew after two added minutes, the score line not particularly reflecting the evenly matched game at Whitley Park; Wallsend being the more clinical team on the day.

Wallsend Ladies XI: McTague, Embleton, Regan, Clark, Brennan, McHugh, Duggan, Campbell, Wilkinson (c) (Colledge 78’), Clark (Hornby 56’), Foad (Bidgett 45’)

Subs: Bridgett, Shields, Colledge, Campion, Hornby

Newcastle United Women’s Reserve: Moan, Ellis, Mark, Kennedy, Dack (Hutchinson 77’), Tait, Hargrave, Fraser (Gilchrist 63’), Jones, Ellison (Thompson 66’), Reid

Subs: Gilchrist, Hutchinson, Thompson

Related Match Reports

View All