The game is able to challenge participants while providing the physical and mental benefits of exercise. Fundamentally, it is just your regular 5/6-a-side kickabout with one key rule; running or jogging is a foul. Definitions of Walking Football vary slightly, but the definition of ‘both feet off the ground at the same time is a foul’ is widely used. By removing running, the speed of thinking and passing is not slowed but, the impact on joints and muscles is reduced to help decrease the chances of injury while playing.
Walking Football is perfect:
- If you enjoy a challenge.
- If you want to be more active and improve fitness.
- If you hung your boots up years ago but miss playing.
- If you have suffered injury and have been told by your doctor or physio to start becoming active again.
- If you have never played football before and want to learn.
- If you want to get your old team mates back together.
- If you are looking to lose some weight.
- If you enjoy socialising and meeting fellow football lovers.
Walking Footballers are a very friendly bunch and welcome all new participants. You can come on your own, or with friends to a variety of sessions now running in Newcastle, North Tyneside, and Northumberland. As well as social weekly sessions; Walking Football Festivals and Tournaments are becoming regular occurrences.There is now also a sanctioned Northumberland FA Walking Football League. This gives players the chance to test their skills against new opponents, and add a bit of the competitive edge that many enjoy.
For information on the latest sessions running in your area, or if you are wishing to start your own Walking Football team/session, please get in touch.