Agrigem blog

Northumberland FA are delighted to launch a partnership with sports turf products supplier Agrigem

The link up will see the County’s FA Charter Standard clubs who are part of the FA’s Pitch Improvement Programme receive a 10% discount on Agrigem’s range of weed and moss control, fertilisers and grass seed and equipment.

The Agrigem team can offer experts advice on technical, practical, legal & environmental issues around the use of pesticides & associated products.

As well as discounts and offers, we’ll be working with Agrigem to offer seasonal advice for our clubs on keeping grass pitches in optimum condition with features on our social media and website.

To take advantage of this offer or discuss how Agrigem can support the development of your grass pitches, please contact Martin Ford at martin.ford@agrigem.co.uk

And check back for the latest blog posts to help keep your pitches in top condition!

JULY

KEEPING UP THE MOISTURE

With the consistently warmer months on the way and a heatwave due to hit at some point, it is best to be prepared for drought conditions which can lead to plant stresses.

Plant Stress can be relieved using Wetting Agents such as Abzorb in a spray application which can be tank mixed with an organic biostimulant such as Kelpak. This will assist the rapid penetration of water in dry areas for medium to long term re-wetting. 


Wetting agents contain soil penetrating surfactants which are effective against turf diseases such as Dry Patch and Fairy Ring. Abzorb is suitable for use on grass areas such as lawns and amenity and sports turf.  They are most effective when used monthly from spring onwards as this will mean the maximum amount of wetting agent will be present during the dry months of summer.


The 2.5kg Abzorb tank tablet can be pushed through an irrigation system. You can also spot water using a 250g Abzorb tablet in a spray gun or handheld sprayer.


A fast-acting wetting agent attaches itself to the waxes and lipids left by fungal spores on soil and sand particles, which in turn attracts water molecules allowing hydrophobic areas to be re-wet. They are a blend of soil penetrating surfactants, that help to re-wet dry areas of turf affected by turf diseases.


It is very important to irrigate after application of a wetting agent, so that it penetrates the soil. Applying 10-15mm of water straight after application will help, or when it is raining or due to. It can also scorch the leaf if left on it during hot weather.


Other benefits of wetting agents include:

•             Keeps the surface of the soil open and more receptive to water so any irrigation gets into the soil and does not just run off.

•             Reduces the amount of irrigation water needed so saves time and money.

•             Reducing the amount of overhead irrigation will keep the surface drier and this can help with the reduction of Poa annua and disease.

•             The surfactants reduce the surface tension in the water and so excess water will fall from the soil profile to drains far easier in times of higher rain fall.

•             Can be used to help the penetration of pesticides into the thatch layer or soil. Particularly important when looking at actives such as azoxystrobin that are only                                   translocated upwards in a plant and so to protect the whole plant.

•             Can be applied just after seeding to increase germination rates and reduce watering requirements.

 

 


For more information, or to help you identify turf diseases that you may have, please get in touch for further advice.


Products mentioned in this blog:


https://www.agrigem.co.uk/abzorb-triple-action-wetting-agent-10l

https://www.agrigem.co.uk/abzorb-wetting-agent-tablet-250g

https://www.agrigem.co.uk/kelpak-seaweed-5l


JUNE - Sowing the seed


At this time of year, you should have either just had your pitches renovated, or you are in the process of, or planning to start this season’s pitch rejuvenation.

To ensure you have a good strike rate of your seed, you need to ensure you use the correct seeder; either a disc or dimple.

A disc seeder must be used if you have an existing sward, as the disc seeder will cut into the profile of the soil to around 10-15mm in order to get good soil seed contact, which in turn will help speed up its germination.

It is then best to apply top dressing after seeding to cover the seed away from any pests. This will also aid better establishment.


 


A dimple seeder is generally used when your pitch is fully stripped off using a Koro, as you take out more top surface. You should seed once 85% of the top dressing is down as you do not want to bury the seed completely. Then remaining 15% of top dressing is then added to seal in a similar manner to disc seeding - to protect and speed up establishment of the seed.