Northern Alliance Roundup - 24th November

Peter Mann


The two Premier Division matches played both went in favour of the away sides as a late effort from Bailey Morton gave Seaton Delaval all three points away to Ponteland whilst Wallington won by the odd goal in five at Newcastle Chemfica where the hosts netted through Basham Grieveson, replies coming via Armstrong, Barker, and Paxton.

The big game in the League Cup went in favour of leaders Newcastle University as they dismissed Newcastle Blue Star 3-1, the Star having led ten minutes in through Mitchell Ramsay before goals from Timmy Browne and Conrad Zylko before the half hour turned proceedings over, Lefteris Alambritis sealed the win with the hosts’ third nine minutes from time. 

Alnwick Town eased past lowly First Division outfit, Newcastle East End as the returning Brad McClelland notched a brace after Conrad Cunningham had opened the scoring, Jonathyn Quinn also netting for the hosts. 

In the Bill Gardner Cup a Ryan McAvoy-inspired FC United of Newcastle progressed courtesy of a comfortable 6-1 home win over Second Division, the United hitman bagging a treble inside nine, first half minutes. Further goals were added after the break as Jordan Stevens fired a brace, John Wilson notched the consolation, and Anthony Dobie closed the scoring in the final stages.  

Killingworth were taken to the wire when away at Second Division Whitburn, Liam Henderson opening the scoring in a 2-1 win, Malcolm Morien with what proved the winner early in the second half; Percy Main edged past their Second Division opponents, Gateshead Redheugh, by the same score having fallen behind to a Montgomery goal, Karl Comman and Nicky Whitelaw spinning the game around.  

Whitley Bay A earned themselves a comfortable progression as Sven Hart notched three in a 6-1 win away to Stobswood Welfare, Hylton Hubb added a brace and Chris Brennan the other; Jake Baker with the consolation.  

In the only all-Premier Division match Gateshead Rutherford dismissed Shankhouse 3-1, all four goals arriving after the restart, Robert Jefferson getting the ball rolling with the opener, Dan Fullen made it two and, with ten minutes remaining Nikki Langston bagged a customary goal to put the hosts out of sight, Chris Marshall notched the consolation in stoppage time. 

Cup exits to lower opposition were felt by Gateshead A (League Cup) and North Shields Athletic (Bill Gardner Cup).


Winlaton Vulcans got the win they needed to move clear in second place when they claimed a hard-fought 2-0 home win over mid-table Wallsend Community; Liam Henderson afforded the hosts an early lead, netting after just five minutes with Ben Gardner adding the decisive second twenty minutes from time. 

At the bottom end of the table seven goals were witnessed as Red Row Welfare claimed a 5-2 home win over Felling Magpies, Max Anderson helping himself to a second half, four-goal salvo, Luke Baston the other whilst the Magpies netted via Michael Mains and Steven Kyle – all goals coming after the break. 

In the League Cup Blyth Town earned a comfortable win in the Blyth derby, dismissing visitors, Spartans Reserves, 3-0 thanks to goals from Jak Ditchburn, Liam Wotherspoon and Adam Johnson, all in the second half; a brace from Joe Thompson helped Forest Hall on their way to a 3-1 win at home to Bedlington, Craig Harley with the third whilst the reply came through Joseph Thompson. 

Prudhoe Youth Club won 4-2 away to Wallsend Boys Club, Aaron Fletcher with a double for the visitors who also scored through Sam Brown and Tony Wigham whilst Steven Buzzeo and Nathan Orr replied whilst Cullercoats pulled off a win over Premier Division opposition, Stephenson with two goals in their 3-2 win at Gateshead A. 

Gosforth Bohemians were the only First Division side on Bill Gardner Cup duty and they edged past visiting Seaton Sluice 4-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw, Kieron Boyle’s effort cancelled out by Liam Bainbridge. 

Hexham meanwhile were on Northumberland Minor Cup duty at home to New Hartley Juniors U18s as Dylan Mabunu helped himself to three as the Alliance side won 6-1; Marc Nixon, Mike Reed and Olly James also found the net whilst the Juniors’ consolation arrived via Cameron Moore. 


Daniel Brown scored twice for hosts Jesmond as they enjoyed a comfortable afternoon, defeating visitors Willington Quay Saints 6-1, his goals arriving after Les Wylde had opened the scoring midway through the first and Andy Hall had added a second five minutes after the restart. Stewart Wright and Andy Mogwo also netted for the hosts in the final quarter of the game before Quay Saints plucked a consolation at the death through Noel Clynch. 

The other Second Division game, between Cramlington Town and Blyth FC, finished goalless whilst in the cups Rothbury reached the next round of the League Cup after they won 2-0 at Spittal Rovers, Chris Coe and Greg Woodburn with the first half goals. 

In the Bill Gardner Cup meanwhile Coundon & Leeholme picked up a famous win as a Johnson hat-trick saw them see off Premier Division North Shields Athletic 3-1, other results going in favour of higher opposition.