Northern Alliance Roundup - 10th November

Peter Mann


Two goals in each half from Malcolm Morien, a four-goal salvo which takes his league tally to thirty for the season, saw Killingworth jump into second place with a 4-0 win away to Percy Main Amateurs, the hosts missing a penalty whilst Gateshead Rutherford also maintained pressure at the top when they defeated visitors Seaton Delaval 5-0.

Dan Irvine put Rutherford a goal up on the half hour on his debut before Dan Fullen and Nikki Langston made the game comfortable at the break; Fullen added his second after the restart and Stephen Hall made it five with ten minutes remaining.

Alnwick Town breathed a sigh of relief when they edged a seven-goal thriller at home to Shankhouse, grabbing the points with the last kick of the game from Ross Moore. A brace from Jonathon Colley had Town two up before Kevin Carr levelled with a brace of his own; Jonathyn Quinn restored the lead from range before Christopher Marshall made for a nervy finale with another equaliser ten minutes from time, Moore snatching the winner deep into stoppage for the hosts.

Other Premier Division sides were on cup duty ion the Northumberland Benevolent Bowl as Wallington won their First Round tie away to ten man Ponteland, Jonny Edwards with the only goal of the game six minutes from time.

In the Second Round matches Newcastle University dismissed hosts Newcastle Blue Star 3-1, Conrad Zyko and Olly Walden giving the Students a two goal interval lead before Iury De Moraes pulled a goal back midway through the second period, Lefteris Alambritis sealed progression with the third four minutes from time.

Chris Zolden netted twice for Whitley Bay A as they won 3-2 away to FC United of Newcastle, who opened the scoring via Anthony Brown whilst Jordan Stevens gave them hope late on but it was too little, too late, Sven Hart having also netted for the Bay.

And at Newcastle Chemfica, nine goals were witnessed, including three penalties as the hosts won 5-4 against New Fordley. Chemfica were 3-2 ahead at the interval as the goals flowed throughout – Steve McLaughlin notched two for the victors (one penalty) alongside efforts from Chris Homans, Fergus Lynch, and Garrick Murphy whilst Jordan Watson replied with a treble (two penalties) and Lee Richardson the other.



A hat-trick from Dylan Mabunk helped Hexham on their way to a 6-2 win at Wallsend Community to move up a place to seventh, Will Forsyth (2) and Callum Duncan also scoring whilst the Comms replied via a Kane Chirnside brace.

Forest Hall hit basement side Newcastle East End for seven without reply, the visitors without a point in twelve now and have a goal difference of -65 with Joe Thompson grabbing three against them alongside goals from Paul Ridley, Michael Bowman, Jake Maughan and Michael Latimer whilst the game between Felling Magpies and Seaton Burn finished 1-1, Steven Kyle opened for the hosts on 31 minutes, Ryan Thompson equalised two minutes later.

Numerous sides were on Minor Cup duty with Winlaton Vulcans progressing in the Durham version on the back of an impressive 8-0 win away to Gateshead Redheugh with Matty Baldwin scoring three and Liam Henderson two in the win whilst Hebburn U23s survived a scare against Wear Valley, they progressing on penalties following a 2-2 draw.

In the Northumberland version both Cullercoats and Prudhoe Youth Club hit eight without reply, Blake bagging two as the former dismissed Red Row and Matty Bloomer with three and Jordan Phillips two for the latter at home to Burradon.

Joseph Thompson scored twice as Bedlington won 3-1 against Blyth FC whilst Karl Lazzari and Andy Murray were among the scorers for Blyth Reserves in their 3-0 win at Wideopen; Gosforth Bohemians won 5-2 away to Newburn whilst the leaders Blyth Town win 2-0 at home to Morpeth Seniors.

Liam Anderson hit five, including a fourteen minute second half hat-trick as Wallsend Boys Club won 7-1 away to Spittal Rovers, Brad Walsh having opened the scoring early in the first and Ryan Whitfield closing it at the death.   



Rothbury and Whitley Bay Sporting Club opened up a slender three point gap atop of the Second after both won on the road, both scoring four goals as well.

The Reds won 4-1 at Stobswood to set the pace, Alex Laviers with a second half brace after early goals had come from Alex Makin and Tony Brown, Matthew Graham pulled a goal back seven minutes from time; Sporting meanwhile won 4-2 at Seaton Sluice (formerly Seghill) for whom Nick Doyle scored twice, the title contenders taking the points with goals from Adam Whitbread, Jake Betts, Liam Blyth and Phil Cross whilst at Coundon a brace from Fitzgerald was insufficient for them as they fell 3-2 against Jesmond, Miller with two and McClean the other.

The one Durham Minor Cup outing saw Whitburn defeat visitors Stockton Portrack Churches 6-1, Alex Chapman netting twice, whilst in the Northumberland Minor an Adam Bains effort saw Ellington edge Newbiggin 1-0, John Wilson scored twice as Cramlington United dismissed Heaton Hawks 5-2, and Willington Quay Saints fell 4-2 at home to Ponteland Reserves.