Northern Alliance Round-Up - 22nd September

Peter Mann


There’s now a five point advantage atop of the Premier Division for leaders Newcastle University after a controlled performance away to Alnwick Town and other sides around them on League Cup duty, Ponteland United the only other top five side in action who also collected a comfortable win.

Niza Chilufya took his tally past the twenty goal mark with a brace as The Students won 5-0 away to Alnwick and, after Keith Douglas notched a third Lee Scott added a late brace to continue their early season form whilst braces from Gary Cook and Reece Havelock-Brown featured in Ponteland’s 6-1 demolition of hosts New Fordley to move into second place.

As five Premier Division sides fell to lower opposition in the League Cup there was a tight affair involving two all Premier sides as a pair of Martin Soulsby penalties saw Newcastle Blue Star edge past AFC Killingworth 2-0.

Newcastle Chemfica won 4-2 on the road at FC United of Newcastle thanks to a Gareth Murphy hat-trick and one for Fergus Lynch, Anthony Dobie and Dillon Swan replying whilst Gateshead enjoyed a rare high-scoring win as they defeated hosts Burradon 5-1, Lewis McGeoch with two and one apiece for Slater, Moody and Cranston and Wallington won 3-0 at home to Gosforth Bohemians, John Paxton with two and Jonathon Edwards.

The remaining Premier Division side to progress as others fell by the wayside was Seaton Delaval who edged past visitors Seghill 3-2 after extra-time having come from behind to progress. Richie Clark gave the Second Division the lead which Paul Middlemass doubled before the break which they held until ten minutes from time.

Sol Bell pulled one back in the 8oth minute and, as the game looked like it was going to peter out, Jannick Aziakonu levelled with a minute remaining sending the tie to an extra thirty minutes during which time Liam Davison struck the winner in the 112th minute. 



The three league games in the First Division all finished in draws on Saturday whilst there was excitement in the League Cup as Forest Hall progressed at the expense of Premier Division Percy Main in extra-time; Blyth Spartans Reserves dismissed Cramlington United 4-1; Cullercoats took care of Stobswood 5-1; Hexham won 3-2 at Whitburn; Wallsend Boys won 3-1 at Wideopen and Winlaton cause an upset as they won 3-2 at Premier Division Whitley Bay A.

At Percy Main the hosts led 2-0 before throwing the game away late in the second half, Jack Pinchen with a double and one apiece from Marc Atkinson and Joe Thompson giving Hall a come from behind win.

Kieran Barker nabbed a brace for Winlaton as they dismissed Whitley Bay A, Finn Gibson also netting whilst at Blyth the goals flew in from Adam Uddgren, Andy Murray, Rui Martins and Karl Lazzari and at Cullercoats, after falling behind to an early opener from Wilcock and Blake levelling a minute later, a devastating ten minute spell midway through the second half put the game beyond doubt as Greener, Elrod, Osbourne and Stephenson all scored whilst Duncan, Forsyth and James all scored as Hexham won 3-2 at Whitburn, Bravey and Warren replying.

In the league six goals were shared at Seaton Burn as they were held to a 3-3 draw at home to Felling Magpies, five goals coming in the first half as David Hewitt (2) and Chris Carr gave Burn an interval lead, Mains and Hirton also scoring, Lewis Scoring with the final goal just before the hour.

The games at leaders Blyth Town, and at Wallsend Community, both finished 1-1, the leaders being held by Hebburn U23s as Joe Gibson cancelled out the visitors’ opener from Jordan Reed and Matty Bloomer’s effort for Prudhoe saw them draw at Community, Callum Hewitson with their goal.



As Whitley Sporting Club took over leadership of the Second Division with a 3-0 win at Cramlington Town, Willington Quay Saints caused a massive upset in the George Dobbins League Cup with a 2-1 win at home to Premier Division side, Gateshead Rutherford.

Sean Conway opened the scoring for the Quay Saints after just fourteen minutes and the lead was doubled thirteen minutes later when Alex Foreman netted and it stayed that way, well right up until the last minute when Robert Jefferson netted but it was a Quay Saints day as they collected a famous win in their history.

Other Second Division sides to progress in the League Cup were Spittal Rovers, who enjoyed a giant-killing of their own at Premier Division North Shields Athletic, Ellington, following an eleven goal thriller away to rivals Coundon and Rothbury away to Gateshead Redheugh.

Goals from Jones, Jeffrey, Lambert and a last minute effort from Bell gave Spittal their cup glory at Shields whilst a Daniel Thompson brace gave Rothbury the win at Redheugh meanwhile at Coundon a see-saw affair went the distance after Jak Croucher hit four for the hosts and both Adam Bains and John Gall grabbed braces for the eventual victors.

The journey ended in the opening round for Burradon, Cramlington United, Seghill, Stobswood, Whitburn and Wideopen whilst the two league games both finished with 3-0 scores.

Whitley Sporting Club took over leadership when they won away to Cramlington Town thanks to goals from Sam Atkinson, Connor Towes and Gary Mitchelson whilst former leaders Jesmond fell to visitors Blyth FC, Reece Farrell with a brace and one from Joe Moscrop.

This week's round-up was written by Peter Mann. To contact Peter, please visit his website.