Northern Alliance Roundup - Saturday 20th October

Peter Mann


Rothbury took the League Cup plaudits at the weekend as the high-flying Second Division newcomers took on, and dismissed, Premier Division Newcastle Chemfica in a penalty shoot-out following a 2-2 draw.

The Reds led on the half-hour through hitman, Daniel Thompson however Sam Grieveson levelled from the spot just before the hour mark; Thompson, who has eleven league goals in the Second Division already this season restored the Second Division leaders lead shortly after the hour mark only for Alex McKitterick to again level with twenty minutes to go, the score remaining that way through extra-time with the Alliance newcomers taking the plaudits with a 4-2 win on penalties to progress.

Three other matches went to extra-time as Wallsend Boys Club defeated visiting Whitley Sporting Club 6-3, the sides level at three each after ninety minutes with Nick Jarvis-Smith (2), Steven Buzzeo (2) and Paul Buzzeo scoring for the winners, replies coming via Aaron Malloy, Adam Whitehead and Jake Betts, whilst Prudhoe Youth Club won 5-4 on penalties away to Willington Quay Saints following a 1-1 draw, Luke Banks cancelling out the opener from Brandon Williams, and Newcastle East End picked up a rare win when they won 3-2 away to Cramlington Town, Ronnie Short with two and Max Bell the hero with the extra-time winner, James Gilbert and Kieren Moffett replying.

High-scoring games would see Premier Division leaders Newcastle University dismiss Second Division outfit Jesmond 8-3 as Timmy Browne scored twice for top flight leaders, goals also coming from Adam Laidler, Keith Douglas, Christopher Scott, Ruben Martinez, Niza Chilufya and Lefteris Alambritis whilst Andy Hall with a brace, and Daniel Brown, replied for the hosts.

Blyth Spartans Reserves meanwhile knocked off Premier Division opposition when dismissing Ponteland United 7-3 – Karl Lazzari bagged a four-goal salvo and Andy Murray three in the win, the Pont replying through Steven Satterthwaite, David Short and Reece Havelock-Brown.

David Brown bagged a hat-trick in Blyth Town’s 5-0 home win against Ellington, Chris Laidlaw and Sam Watts also scoring whilst Alnwick Town edged past Hebburn U23s in a 3-2 win, Cameron Cunningham with two for the Premier Division side.

Bell, Jeffrey and Bloomfield netted for Spittal Rovers as they won 3-1 at Wallsend Community whilst Cullercoats won by the same at home to Felling Magpies, the victors netting through Connor, Whitelaw and Blake.

One goal was enough for both Bedlington and Forest Hall to win their matches, the former defeating Wallington courtesy of Adam Ord, and the latter dismissing Seaton Burn thanks to Joe Thompson.

Gateshead progressed on the back of a 3-0 win at home to Red Row Welfare, Lewis McGeoch with a second half brace; Mitchell Ramsay notched two as Newcastle Blue Star had the same result when away to Winlaton Vulcans and Hexham won 3-1 at Blyth, goals coming from Will Forsyth, Kurtis Harvey and Dylan Mabunu; and in the all-Premier Division game New Fordley took care of Seaton Delaval 4-0 as Jordan Watson scored twice, Lee Waugh notched a penalty, and Dean Ellis also chipped in.



Only two games were played in the Premier Division on Saturday afternoon as Percy Main Amateurs took advantage of others being on cup duty to jump up to eleventh place courtesy of a comfortable 6-1 win away to bottom side FC United of Newcastle.

Only one goal was netted in the first half, the visitors taking the lead minutes before the interval through Ian Graham before one-way traffic ensued in the second half. Chris Glass made it two seven minutes after the restart with his first of the afternoon before Robert Hamilton added number three five minutes later; Glass got his second, and Percy’s fourth with twenty minutes to go before Mark McDonnell put the result beyond doubt and Glass completing his hat-trick in the closing stages, Michael Pooley netting a consolation in the last minute.

Gateshead Rutherford meanwhile remain fifth but narrowed the gap on those above them to two points at they won 2-0 away to North Shields Athletic, both goals arriving in the second half through Niki Langston, his first eight minutes into the second period, and his second in the last minute of the game taking his tally to eleven in the league this campaign.

With other sides on League Cup duty one game was played in the Benevolent Bowl, AFC Killingworth winning 5-1 away to Shankhouse as both Liam Hudson and Malcolm Morien notched braces, Konner Lamb the other whilst Oliver Young hit a consolation five minutes from time.



Three games were played in the Second Division as a seven-goal thriller was witnessed at Cramlington United, the hosts narrowing the gap on leaders Rothbury to just two points as they edged past Seghill 4-3. Level at the break, Luke Taylor cancelling out Richie Clarke’s opener in the five minutes before the interval, the second half was a see-saw affair.

Christie Kidd gave the hosts the lead thirteen minutes after the restart but Luke Bainbridge levelled after 69, Taylor got his second of the game a few minutes later with Nick Doyle scoring another equaliser another few minutes having passed and, with twelve minutes later, the seventh goal of the day came via Kidd with his second to seal the points.

A goal from Smallman in the last minute gave Whitburn a share of the spoils away to Wideopen, Dickinson with their goal in a 1-1 draw whilst a brace from Aidan Rutledge, after 25 and 35 minutes, gave Gateshead Redheugh all three points in their 2-0 home win over Burradon.


Thank you to Peter Mann for this week's report. Visit Peter's website to get in contact.