NFA Youth

Notts so good for Northumberland U18s

Dan Simmonite

Northumberland FA were ousted from the FA County Youth Cup yesterday – goals from Josh Randall (2) and Jack March securing a 3-0 win for Nottinghamshire FA in Newcastle upon Tyne.

North dominated possession in the early stages and very nearly opened the scoring just moments into the game, Josh Skivington grazing the bar with an effort from distance.

The home side then pushed on with an array of chances down the right wing, Sam Dibb-Fuller narrowly off target on 15 minutes followed by an almost identical chance moments later – the winger dragging wide under pressure from a defender.

Frustrations grew as North failed to take their chances in the final third. Aaron Lough opted for a different approach after the rued opportunities – trying to test the Notts goalkeeper from distance, but his shot blocked by a red shirt.

Notts scrambled to keep the score level in the latter stages of the first half, Lough heading the ball on a plate for Louis Calvert - only for the Newcastle City forward to smash over the bar from just a few yards out.

This opened up an opportunity for the visitors on 42 minutes - goalkeeper Liam Renwick being called into action for the first time to deny Josh Randall from close range.

It seemed to just not be North’s day as the whistle blew for half time – the team left wondering what they had to do to break the deadlock at Whitley Park.

The break gave Notts time to devise a fresh approach – the away side striking first in the second half thorough a point blank Jack March header after a cross to the back post from his Rainworth teammate Randall.

Heads dropped in North Tyneside and Notts capitalised just minutes after opening the scoring – Randall wanting a piece of the action and curling in a sublime free kick to double his teams lead.

North chances were few and far between in the final 45 minutes. Dibb-Fuller tried his best to buldozer his way through with a solo run but the Notts defence continued their solid form and stopped the Prudhoe player in his tracks.

The third goal was the nail in the coffin for Kane Wears' side - who other than Randall dribbling his way through a crowded penalty area and placing into the bottom corner on 70 minutes.

It was a long final 20 minutes for North to stop any further embarrassment, Notts substitute Dennis Nittus going close on a number of occasions – most notably slicing over the bar after a low cross to the penalty spot.

The county side’s exit from the competition was confirmed by the full time whistle which was met by cheers from Nottinghamshire FA officials. The midlands side now go on to play in the third round against Amateur Football Alliance in December.

Northumberland FA XI: Renwick, Kalthoeber, Woods, Pickard, Christie, Walker, Lough, Calvert, Dibb-Fuller, Skivington, Ward

Subs: Symonds, Wilson, Anderson, Proudlock, Statt

Nottinghamshire FA XI: Kissane, Tomlin, Oakes, Lathall, Bayliss, Whitton, Randall, Griffiths, March, Gibbs, Mthimkhulu

Subs: Nittus, Rajter