Northern Alliance Round-up - 25/8/18

Peter Mann


The top-of-the-table clash between leaders Newcastle Blue Star and second placed AFC Killingworth finished in a stalemate on Saturday afternoon with goals arriving at the start, and end of the game.

Lee Johnson opened the scoring after just two minutes for the visitors whilst Richard Coulson missed a golden opportunity to level from the spot in the first half, Blue Star finally got the point in the fifth minute of stoppage time, Paul Henderson snatching a share of the spoils.

Newcastle University, and Niza Chilufya, dismantled hosts Wallington 7-0, the Students star man hitting a double hat-trick whilst Olly Walden also got in on the act.

An entertaining game ensued on Tyneside as Newcastle Chemfica were held to a 2-2 draw by visitors Alnwick Town, all four goals arriving in a busy second period. The hosts went a goal up through Gareth Davies shortly after the restart but Town turned the game on its head through Paul Muirs and Joseph Threlfall, the latter scoring with seven minutes remaining however Chemfica grabbed a share of the spoils two minutes later when Jozef Mazela levelled.

Innocent Chiranda notched six for Gateshead A  as they enjoyed their best win for some time, winning 9-0 away to FC United of Newcastle, the other goals arriving through Abdul Afoladi, Lewis McGeoch and Dan Cranson.

The goals continued to flow elsewhere also, seven coming at Seaton Delaval as they edged past visitors AFC New Fordley 4-3, Ryan McGorrigan with a twenty minute, first half hat-trick, Bailey Morton adding the hosts’ fourth whilst the replied came from Jordan Watson, Chris Horn and Kieron Pyle; there were six goals in both the games at Ponteland and Gateshead Rutherford.

The Pont won 4-2 against visiting Shankhouse, the visitors leading through Leighton Bruce on the half hour before the hosts took control following the restart, Ethan Bewley levelling before efforts from Owen Lewis-Johnson, Will Morris and Reece Havelock-Brown wrapped up the points, Gary Yates notching a second for the dismayed visitors and Rutherford were held to a 3-3 draw at home to Whitley Bay A.

The Bay led early on through Chris Zolden with Dan Fullen levelling just past the twenty minute mark, Thomas Kalthoeber affording the visitors an interval lead before Fullen levelled again after the hour, Dylan Howarth then gave Rutherford the lead minutes later before a Robbie Potter effort in the closing minutes earned a share of the spoils.

Jorge Bollado opened the scoring after just thirty seconds for Percy Main Amateurs as they won 2-0 against North Shields Athletic before Steve Wilson, on his Main debut, doubled the advantage midway through the second half.


Leaders Blyth Town maintained their maximum points haul with a 4-1 derby win at home to Blyth Spartans Reserves thanks in no small part to a brace from Connor Andrews, he was joined on the scoresheet by Sam Watts and Adam Johnson with the Spartans replying through Liam Shanley on the hour.

Second place Bedlington maintained the pressure on the leaders with a 4-0 win away to Prudhoe Youth Club, Tommy Wilkinson and Andrew Mclenan scoring in the first half, Chris Conway and Callum Floyd the second whilst a solo effort from Eaman Nugugent Doylum earned Cullercoats all three points away to Forest Hall.

Felling Magpies, Winlaton Vulcans and Seaton Burn all won away from home without conceding, the Magpies claiming a 3-0 win at Newcastle East End in a bottom of the table clash as Carl Young, Kev Anthony and an own-goal wrapped up the points; the Vulcans won 2-0 at Hexham with goals from Craig Rose and Matt Baldwin; and the Burn did the same at Wallsend Boys Club, goals coming via Andy Arnott and Josh Mottram.

The remaining two matches in the First Division bore witness to thirteen goals as Gosforth and Red shared six, with six different scorers, and Hebburn Town U23s defeated visitors Wallsend Community 4-3, David Stansfield scoring a hat-trick for the U23s.


Jesmond are currently enjoying life in the Alliance and remain top of the Second Division, by a point, following Saturday’s 8-1 drubbing of visitors Seghill.

Louis Tiplady notched his first hat-trick of the season, as did Dan Brown, both arriving after Alex Cole had given the hosts the lead after just sixty seconds, Harvey Bex also scoring, a lead of 5-0 at the break although a goal from Richard Clark with fifteen remaining would have been most unwelcome for the leaders.

Another newcomer, Rothbury, are now second after they also high-scored, winning 7-2 away to Wideopen, both Brown and Thompson scoring twice with other goals flying in via Smith, from the spot, Proudlock and McPherson, Wideopen replied via a Haney double proving mere consolations.

The Cramlington derby finished in favour of the high-flying United, they winning by an impressive 6-0 score-line thanks to braces from David Dormand and Lewis Walmsely, Ben Young and John Wilson also scoring whilst early goals from Niall Jones and Ben Amers earned Spittal a 2-1 win at home to Redheugh, Matthew Fisher with their effort twenty minutes from time.

A brace from Liam Ramsey featured in Stobswood’s 5-2 win at Burradon, Callum Morpeth with a goal in each half for the beleaguered hosts whilst both Whitley Sporting Club (away to Coundon) and Ellington (home to Willington Quay Saints) collected 4-0 wins, Adam Bains with a treble in the latter.

Thank you to Peter Mann for the round-up this week. To contact Peter, please visit his website.