Northern Alliance Round-up - 18/8/18

Peter Mann


The Students continued their goal-blazing start to their title defence with an 8-1 demolition of visitors Gateshead A to take their early season tally past the twenty-goal mark, in three games, as Niza Chilufya fired a four-goal salvo, three in the first half and was joined on the scoresheet by two from Lee Scott and one apiece from regular scorers Olly Walden and Keith Douglas, Lewis McGeoch with the consolation fifteen minutes from time.

AFC Killingworth are holding onto the leaders coat-tails and kept their unbeaten tag but were made to work when at Ponteland, the hosts leading through an Alex Nisbitt effort on twenty, Malcolm Morien levelling five minutes later. The Pont held out until ten minutes after the restart before the division’s early top-scorer, Malcolm Morien, put the visitors in front and it was he who sealed the win with the third five minutes from time.

As the goals were flying in AFC New Fordley helped themselves to seven thanks to an impressive 7-2 success at home to Shankhouse, after Mamuini Jeremias had opened the scoring on five for the Hoose. Ali Henderson levelled before the twenty minute mark before Kieron Pyle notched his first of the afternoon, Chris Marshall making it 2-2 just after the half hour.

It stayed that way until the final half hour before Pyle’s brace put the hosts in front, Dan Foster all but wrapped things up, and a late double from Lee Waugh confirmed things in the final five minutes.

Newcastle Blue Star and Gateshead Redheugh are also unbeaten so far this campaign with three from three, the former winning 3-1 on the road at Newcastle Chemfica thanks to two goals from Mitchell Ramsay and one from Owen Brearton, Darryl Basham with the reply whilst Thomas Young scored the only goal of the game fifteen minutes from time as Rutherford won three on the spin for the first time since 2009, this being a 1-0 win over Wallington.

Jonathon Storey scored the only goal of the fame, in the first minute, as Percy Main won 1-0 at Alnwick and Whitley Bay A scored all four goals as they won 3-1 away to Seaton Delaval thanks to efforts from Kieran Brannen, Trueman Hubb and James Proctor, followed by an own-goal in the last minute.

The remaining Premier Division game saw six goals shared as FC United of Newcastle drew 3-3 with visitors North Shields Athletic as John Campbell opened the scoring on eleven minutes for the hosts, Anthony Brown making it two with his first of the game on twenty before and own-goal on the half-hour  gave the visitors hope.

Jay Wilcox levelled just after the half-hour for Athletic and just a few minutes elapsed before Brown restored the hosts’ lead which they held until nine minutes from time, Wilcox with his second of the game to tie proceedings and share the points.


Cullercoats maintained their early season leadership of the First Division when they brushed aside visitors Prudhoe YC 5-1 at the weekend. Carl Patterson gave them an early lead before Joe Greener and a second half brace from Chris Conner made it four; Adam Greenwood pulled a goal back with five minutes to go before Jake Greener wrapped up the win in stoppage time.

Hebburn U23s and Winlaton both also notched five times in their respective wins against Red Row away, and Wallsend Boys Club at home; Jukes, McGreary, Standsfield, Elrod and Patterson all scoring for the U23s whilst a Brierley brace helped Winlaton on their way to three points, Baldwin, Hendry and Latimer also scoring whilst a brace from Nick Jarvis-Smith proved mere consolation for Boys Club.

Seaton Burn enjoyed a 4-0 win at home to Newcastle East End courtesy of Daniel Beenshill hat-trick and one from Liam Hall whilst a pair of braces featured in Gosforth Bohemians’ 3-2 win at Wallsend Community as Liam Taylor’s brace for the hosts was cancelled out by two from Kieron Boyle and a late winner from Andy Smith.

Hexham won 3-2 away to Blyth Spartans Reserves, goals coming from Pattison, Harvey and Mabunu, Scarth and Shepherd replying; Bedlington drew 1-1 with Felling Magpies, Andy Mclenan and Ryan Heron with the goals whilst Blyth Town remain second thanks to a 2-1 win at Forest Hall, Adam Johnson with the winner.


Whitburn are the only side in the Second Division with a 100% record following Saturday’s second half performance at home to newcomers Stobswood to open up a two point lead over the early, chasing pack.

Alex Chapman opened the scoring early in the second period but they were made to wait until the final ten minutes to make the game safe when Takudzwa Mawoko doubled Whitburn’s lead and Anth Chapman wrapped up the points in the closing minutes.

Jesmond meanwhile, in second, are having a great start to life in the Alliance which continued with a 4-1 win away to Cramlington Town, Andy Mogwo giving the visitors an interval lead which Andy Hall doubled minutes after the restart. Louis Tiplady would put Jesmond three goals to the good shortly after and, although Thomas Green pulled one back from the spot just after the half hour before Tiplady added his second, and Jesmond’s fourth, in the last minute.

Both Rothbury, Seghill and Wideopen collected wins by scoring four times, Rothbury defeating visitors Coundon 4-1, the hosts being two up in the opening fifteen courtesy of Greg Woodburn and Dan Thompson whilst Joel Laviers and Kyle Smith added further goals within twenty minutes of the restart, Liam Gill providing the consolation.

At Seghill Paul Middlemass opened the scoring early for the hosts and, although Kieran Allison levelled on the half hour, second half goals from Jordan Armitage, Mirsad Suljic and Sam Harker sealed the points whilst Wideopen won 4-2 away to Willington Quay Saints, Brandon Willams scoring twice for the Saints but the hosts claimed the win with efforts from Anthony Swain, Joe Wilson, Jordan Sawyers and Ross Dickinson.

Dan McDonald struck twice for Whitley Sporting Club as they defeated visitors Spittal Rovers 2-1, Ben Amers with the reply whilst Cramlington United and Ellington shared six goals, Andy Carr’s treble for the hosts being cancelled out by a Martin Humble double and one from Adam Bains and the game between Redheugh and Blyth FC was abandoned early in the first half due to a serious injury to the home goalkeeper.

Thank you to Peter Mann for the round-up this week. To contact Peter, please visit his website.