Northern Alliance Roundup - 1/9/18

Peter Mann


Newcastle Blue Star remain undefeated atop of the Premier Division but were made to work hard for the three points they gained away to Shankhouse, in face it would be an own-goal that would separate the two sides, arriving ten minutes from time.

Hot on their heels are Newcastle University, the Students, and Niza Chilufya in particular, are presently scoring for fun and hit sixth place Whitley Bay A for seven. A hat-trick for the Uni hitman took his early season tally to sixteen whilst Olly Walden chipped in with two, Chris Scott and Peter Mairs adding to the tally whilst Hubb notched a consolation for the demoralised visitors.

A Darren Young goal on the hour was enough to separate Ponteland and hosts Seaton Delaval whilst a Dillon Howarth double featured in Gateshead Rutherford’s 3-1 win away to New Fordley, the hosts having led early in the first half through Josh Hay whilst Sam Hodgson added a third for the victors.

Percy Main suffered a shock reverse when they were edged 3-2 at home to FC United of Newcastle, the lowly visitors 3-1 up at the break through Ryan McEvoy, Peter Brown and Connor Graham, Adam Green having levelled the game at 1-1 before David Short offered a glimmer ten minutes from time.

Four goals were shared at Chemifca as they were held in a 2-2 draw against North Shields Athletic, Josh Coulthard with a double for the visitors whilst Sam Grieveson, and a first of the season for Steve McLaughlin, levelled proceedings.

Wallington meanwhile picked up their second win of the season when they won 6-2 at home against Gateshead A as Aiden Armstrong, with two, and one apiece from Michael Angus, Thomas Truscott, Kyle Reardon and Adam Barker earned the hosts the points, a brace from Lewis McGeoch scant consolation for the Heed.


Blyth Town maintained their 100% start to the season with a 3-0 win away to Felling Magpies and are two points clear at the top of the First Division, all three goals arriving in the second half via Dave Brown, Joseph Gibson and Connor Andrews whilst Bedlington are hot on the tails of the leaders after they won 5-3 away to Hebburn Town U23s as Andy Mclennan scored three and Adam Ord two, the replies coming from Jonathon McGreary, Callum Russell and David Stansfield.

The other top six clash saw Cullercoats defeat Seaton Burn 2-1 with goals from Adam Stephenson and Dillon Blake whilst Kieron Barker notched the only goal of the game as Winlaton won 1-0 at Wallsend Community and Wallsend Boys Club drew 1-1 away to Red Row, both goals arriving in the opening twenty minutes as Paul Buzzeo’s opener was cancelled out by Marc Nixon.

Tyler Scarth smashed a four goal salvo for Blyth Spartans Reserves as they won 8-0 away to bottom side Newcastle East, he being joined on the scoresheet by Sean Cowx, Dan Surley, Owen Davison and Andy Murray whilst Peter McRoberts bagged a brace in Hexham’s 4-0 home win over Forest Hall, Tom Hacking and a Kurtis Harvey penalty the others.


Newcomers Rothbury and Jesmond both maintained their impressive starts to life in the Northern Alliance with home victories at the weekend, the former taking their unbeaten run to six with a 2-0 victory over Cramlington Town thanks to goals from James Jackson and Greg Woodburn.

Jesmond meanwhile, who suffered defeat the previous Wednesday, put that firmly behind them when they demolished visitors Wideopen 11-0, with only three coming in the first half.

Louis Tiplady afforded the hosts an early lead and, after Dan Brown had doubled it, Tiplady made it three nine minutes before the break after which the visitors collapsed. Brown added his second within five minutes of the restart before Tiplady completed his hat-trick shortly after.

As Jesmond hitmen played goal-for-goal Brown then went and completed his hat-trick to make it six before Adam Duckworth, quite devastatingly, took over. He notched his first of the afternoon on 65 minutes and, within ten minutes, had snatched a treble of his own, Jesmond roaring into a nine goal lead, Toby Walton and Andy Mogwo adding further goals in the final ten minutes to complete the rout.

Whitley Sporting Club leapfrogged Cramlington United into third when the former won 4-2 at home to Seghill whilst the latter fell to a 2-1 defeat against visitors Burradon, Whitehead would score twice in Sporting’s success whilst Bews and Allison netted for Burradon.

Whitburn, at home to Spittal, and Coundon, at Willington Quay Saints, both also won 2-1, Joe Moscrop netted twice as Blyth won 3-0 against Stobswood and Adam Bains notched a treble in Ellington’s 3-1 win at Gateshead Redheugh.

Thank you to Peter Mann for the round-up this week. To contact Peter, please visit his website.