Northern Alliance and Cup Final Roundup - April 2019

Peter Mann


Blyth FC 2 Stobswood Welfare 1 

Blyth FC, presently fifth in the Alliance Second Division and with games in hand on sides above them, claimed the first silverware of the season with a 2-1 win over lowly Stobswood Welfare last night. 

The final, played at the home of Ashington CFC, was played in good spirits and in front of healthy crowd with Blyth taking the lead shortly before the interval through Reece Farrell, they one goal to the good at the break. That was doubled not long after the hour mark when Andrew Welsh made it 2-0 before Stobswood made for an interesting final ten minutes when pulling a goal back, Kevin Bell finding the back of the net. 

It was the third time the two sides have met this season but the tightest margin of result, Blyth winning all three encounters with an aggregate score of elven goals to one.  


How do you solve the problem like who this seasons’ Premier Division champions will be? The answer may well lie in the upcoming head-to-head between leaders Newcastle University, and second place AFC Killingworth, after the pair both claimed 6-1 wins on the road. 

The advantage does lie with Killy, who have games in hand on the leaders and are currently just six points behind – those two games will be intriguing, and on Saturday the pair matched each other for results as well. 

The Students, away to Gateshead Reserves, wrapped up their win courtesy of a Niza Chilufya hat-trick two from Lee Scott, and a customary Keith Douglas effort, Jordan Dobie replying, whilst at Killy it was Alex Nisbet at the double who put the title challengers on their way, further goals being added by Martin Soulsby and Liam Harris, Joe Besford and Konner Lamb, Wallington’s reply coming via Kyle Reardon. 

Two of the remaining three games contained five goals as first Whitley Bay A defeated visitors Alnwick Town 3-2 with goals from Paul Dunn, Mackenzie Sharp and James Lee, he notching the winner ten minutes from times, whilst Town’s replies came through Phil Airey and Leon Midgley; then there was FC United of Newcastle winning by the same score, they away to North Shields Athletic with Ryan McAvoy bagging a treble and Phil Watson a double in reply. 

The remaining game would see New Fordley claim a tough three points when at Shankhouse, Miller opening the scoring after 25 minutes and Henderson doubling it five minutes after the restart. 


Prudhoe Youth Club Seniors went a little goal crazy in their home game on Saturday when they put eleven past lowly Longbenton without reply. 

Only four to the good at the interval the hosts upped the tempo in the second period as Luke Banks would complete his hat-trick and there would also be a hat-trick of braces, Sam Moore, Arron Fletcher and David Burns all doubling up with Geoffrey Bowes completing the 11-0 win five minutes from time. 

Winlaton also high scored as they won 8-1 away to Red Row Welfare, Moulding and Rook both firing braces whilst Best, Robinson, Brierley and Collins compounded the hosts’ misery, Baston with the consolation and Wallsend Boys Club had Jack Fishburn to thank for his brace in a 4-2 win at home to Gosforth Bohemians, Roberts with a double in reply. 

Leaders Blyth Town snatched a draw at the death when at home to mid-table Forest Hall, the visitors leading midway through the first half from Adam Bamburgh, a lead they held until ten minutes into the second period when Joe Gibson levelled; Joe Thompson restored the visitors advantage with twelve minutes to go and it was looking like they’d stolen a win before Adam Johnson claimed a second equaliser for Town, in the last minute. 

Two early goals for Seaton Burn, through Ryan Thompson and Ryan Lewis, gave them the points at home to Blyth Spartans Reserves, Adam Uddgren replying and first half efforts from Tom Haribson and Liam Williamson saw Felling Magpies defeat visitors Hebburn U23s 2-0 whilst Cullercoats were made to wait until the final quarter before they found the net. 

Hosting basement club Newcastle East End it would not be until the 65th minute that Greener would open the scoring, Coats adding two more in the final ten to wrap it up with Connor first, then Hindmarsh, with the goals.   


As the top two were inactive at the weekend it was over to third place Whitburn & Cleadon, and fourth place Willington Quay Saints to provide entertainment, and they didn’t disappoint, although the former would have liked a bit more comfort. 

Travelling to mid-table Spittal Rovers it would take a goal in each half to wrap up the points for the visitors with David Conroy opening scoring after just ten minutes, then being on tenterhooks until the closing stages when Joe Warren ensured the points with the decisive second five minutes from time. 

Meanwhile the Quay Saints enjoyed a barnstormer of a game when hosting lowly Gateshead Redheugh, ten goals, including a hat-trick for the hosts, being netted, they winning 7-3. 

Leading 5-1 at the interval, Ross Thirlaway opening the scoring after just three minutes, the hosts carved open Redheugh at will; Brandon Williams doubled the hosts’ lead on 14 minutes and, although David Douglass pulled one pack on 25 there was no stopping the WQS juggernaut as first Dylan Adamson, then Joe Connor, and Adamson again, put them out of sight. 

Shortly after the restart Kane Chirnside made it six to the hosts before Shota Badvashvili pulled a second for a beleaguered Redheugh, who added number seven through Adamson completing his hat-trick, George Foster completing the round ten with the visitors third at the death. 

Plenty of goals were scored elsewhere also, eight being shared at Seaton Sluice as they drew 4-4 with Cramlington United, Richie Clarke helping himself to three for the hosts and David Robinson the other; in reply Niall Younger hit a second half brace along with goals for Billy Pulman in the first, and John Wilson the second. 

A further seven goals were netted at Jesmond as they defeated visiting Ellington 5-2, Stewart Wright with a first half brace for the hosts; three braces were notched at Stobswood as they defeated Coundon 4-2 with Kevin Bell and Josh Hay doubling up for the home side and Jordan Lee replying; and Wideopen drew 2-2 with Blyth Dickinson and Dykes for the hosts, Farrell and Bolan in response.