Information on Festivals, Tournaments and Friendlies

With the end of season fast approaching the Northumberland FA would like provide additional information on festivals/tournaments you are attending or organising and friendlies you are organising. 

Organising a Festival Tournament 

If your club/league is planning on holding a festival/tournament, then please ensure it is sanctioned by Northumberland FA so that you are covered by our public liability insurance. At present the cost of sanctioning your tournament/ festival is £25. Please submit an Event Sanctioning Form along with full rules of the tournament to You can find the form below. 

Any tournament/festival that is not sanctioned will not be covered by our public liability insurance and any claims will be held against the tournament/festival organiser. In addition any clubs participating in a non-sanctioned tournament/festival could be charged with playing un-affiliated football which is against the rules of the association.

Attending a Tournament/Festival

If your club is planning on attending a festival/tournament in England you need to submit a Tournament Participation Form along with either a Tournament Affiliation number or confirmation from the hosting County FA that they have sanctioned the event and send to Northumberland FA will then be able to sanction your attendance at no cost. This process safeguards your players and club and ensures the tournament is abiding by all relevant rules. 

If your club is participating in a tournament/festival overseas – including Scotland, Wales and Ireland, you are required to gain permission from The FA, via Northumberland FA. Please be advised that requests to play overseas can take up to 4 weeks to process. Fill in the attached Application to play Against Foreign Teams and submit to for counter signature. Northumberland FA will then submit to The FA on your behalf. 

Arranging a Friendly

Please submit a Friendly Sanctioning form to This is to ensure both teams are affiliated, the referee is qualified and holds a current CRC (for youth games), the game will be covered by our discipline department and is fully insured. Please be aware if your opposition is a foreign team you will also need to fill out an Application to play Against Foreign Teams as above. 

If you require any further information then please feel free to contact the Admin team on 0191 2700 700 (option 1).

You can find all forms and related documents on our 'Rules & Regulations' page.