Northern Alliance Roundup - 20th April

Peter Mann


Niza Chilufya was at the double on Saturday to keep up Newcastle University’s challenge for the Premier Division title, the Students defeating visitors Alnwick Town 4-2 to move back the top of the table on goal difference from AFC Killingworth. 

The brace was accompanied by goals from Adam Redford and Timmy Brown, at the death, to see off Alnwick who replied via a brace from Samuel Perez whilst there was also a brace from Nikki Langston in Gateshead Rutherford’s 4-0 home win over Newcastle Chemfica, Dan Fullen and Thomas Young adding second half goals. 

Rutherford’s victory saw them leapfrog Wallington into fourth on goal difference after the latter were held to a 1-1 draw away to Percy Main Amateurs, Connor Gales having opened the scoring for the hosts after 25 minutes, John Paxton levelling eight minutes from time. 

New Fordley scored twice in quick succession midway through the first half as substitute Ross Berkley, who came on in the twentieth minutes, notched both to seal a 2-0 win over Seaton Delaval, and in the remaining game Gateshead Reserves racked up a big win at home to FC United of Newcastle. 

Jack Warriner fired a four-goal salvo as the Heed Reserves won 8-1, he was joined on the scoresheet by a Brandon Slater treble and a solo effort from Josh Moody.


Blyth Town are seven points clear atop of the First Division, and with games in hand over the sides beneath them following a late three goals helping them see off bottom club Newcastle East End 3-0 at the weekend, Paul Dunn with a brace and Harry Sawyer wrapping it up with the third in the last minute. 

Winlaton edged into second with a 4-2 win away to Felling Magpies as Dean Hendry, Sean Best, Kyle Warton and Connor Brierley all scoring, Tony Harbison and Carl Young replying whilst Bedlington hit eight without reply when hosting Seaton Burn as Joseph Thompson scored three times along with braces for Andrew Mclenan and Ethan Page, Jamie Martin also finding the net. 

A late brace from Rob Woods helped Wallsend Boys Club to a 4-2 win at home to Hebburn U23s, they having taken a two-goal lead through Robson and Mason, Steven McCabe pulled one back before the break and Nick Jarvis-Smith levelled just after the hour before Woods sealed the points. 

Hexham also won 4-2, they at home to Longbenton as Daniel Bland’s brace from the visitors were insufficient as the hosts replied through Callum Duncan, Peter McRoberts, Tony Hacking and Robbie Patterson and Gosforth Bohemians left it late to steal a home win over Prudhoe Youth Club, the visitors leading courtesy of a penalty twenty minutes from time by Brad Rodgers before Dan Coyle, then James Cross, both netted in stoppage time.


Next Saturday’s game between leaders Rothbury, and fourth placed Blyth FC will prove a title decider in this season’s Second Division title race after the top two both drew on Saturday afternoon, and Blyth kept up the pressure with games in hand. 

A brace of spot-kicks from Gareth McCann saw the Coquetdalers earn a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Seaton Sluice, who levelled through goals by Clarke in the first half, and a second half, thirty-yarder from Yeomans whilst Whitley Sporting Club were also held, they to a 1-1 draw away to Willington Quay Saints thanks to a late Tom Atkinson equaliser cancelling out Dylan Adamson’s opening after half-hour. 

Whitburn, in third, won 2-0 away to Jesmond with Adam Humphries and Liam Mulvain scoring whilst Blyth relied upon a goal eight minutes from time by Andy Welsh to give them the points at home to Burradon. 

Two games would see seven goals as both Coundon & Leeholme, and Cramlington United, collected 4-3 home wins over Gateshead Redheugh and Stobswood Welfare respectively; Peter Brown notched twice for Coundon in their win and Jake Turnbull did the same for Cramlington United as did Jake Baker in reply whilst the remaining game would see Spittal edged visitors Wideopen 2-1, Craig Bell with a later winner after Niall Jones had opened the scoring early on and Joe Wilson equalising.