Burradon Fall to Late Defeat

Andrew McDonnell

Burradon & New Fordley came from behind twice, but conceded late as Southwick FC edged out 3-2 winners to progress through to the semi-finals of the FA Sunday Cup.

Jack Devlin put the visitors ahead early in the game, but Michael Chilton headed home on the stroke of half-time to level.

James Fairley restored Southwick’s lead on 78 minutes before Sean McRoberts curled into the top corner, five minutes later.

There was time for one more twist as Anthony Stokell scored the winner on 88 minutes, much to the dismay of Burradon manager Dave Malone who felt he shouldn’t have been on the pitch at the time.

The two sides exchanged chances in the opening exchanges before the visitors took the lead on 11 minutes.

Devlin broke into the Fordley penalty area before curling past the ‘keeper and into the net.

Danny Sayer stuck inches over the crossbar, from the edge of the area, and Dale Pearson did the same minutes later.

The hosts were pressing for an equaliser and, after Devlin missed a good chance to put Southwick 2-0 up, Fordley levelled on the stroke of half-time.

Keith Graydon curled a free-kick towards the back post and Chilton leapt above his marker and glanced the ball into the bottom corner.

Just after the hour mark, the hosts had their first penalty appeal waved away, despite Liam Hudson going down under the challenge of the defender.

Southwick thought they’d restored their lead on 71 minutes, but their celebrations were short-lived after Paul Kane’s goal was ruled out for offside.

Burradon had their head in their hands after having their second penalty appeal turned down, five minutes later.

A long ball over the top released Pearson through and, after the winger knocked the ball past his marker, he was brought down in the area.

Against the run of play, Southwick went ahead, for the second time, after Fairley’s strike beat the ‘keeper at his near post.

The hosts weren’t behind for long though as McRoberts curled a free-kick across goal and into the top corner.

There was enough time left for more late drama as the ball broke to Stokell, who produced a composed finish to spark jubilant scenes among the players, management and supporters of Southwick.

Burradon’s FA Sunday Cup journey was brought to an end for another season after the official blew for full-time, but Malone feels his side were the “better team” on the day.

“I’m really gutted,” Malone said. “I think the lads have put on a great show and I think we were the better side throughout and we’ve been sucker-punched right at the end.

“We had a case for two penalties, one definite penalty, but I’m not going to be bitter. Southwick worked their socks off and got a bit of luck at the end.”

Burradon & New Fordley: Tsapalos, Brotherick (Henderson, 84), Sayer, Bamborough, Josh Miller, Galpin, McRoberts, Graydon, Hudson (Lamb, 77), Chilton, Pearson
Subs Not Used: Houghton, Uddgren, Andrews

Southwick FC: Bussey, Davis (Kieran Martin, 16), Daniel Martin (Thompson, 62), Forster, Marshall, Brown, Fairley, Fowler, Devlin, Ross (Kane, 60), Stokell
Subs Not Used: Laidler, Quinn

Goals: 0-1, 11 min, Devlin; 1-1, 44 min, Chilton; 1-2, 78 min, Fairley; 2-2, 83 min, McRoberts; 2-3, 88 min, Stokell

Referee: Benjamin Speedie
Assistants: Andrew Kitchen and David Holbrook