Northern Alliance Roundup - 9 February 2019

Peter Mann


Wallington are now unbeaten in their last nine league games, and Percy Main defeated their visitors for the first time in seven years, whilst the leaders continue to be pegged back in what was a big afternoon for the Premier Division at the weekend.

At Oakford Park, Wallington moved into fourth place when defeated visitors Gateshead Rutherford 4-3, Simon Farrier proving the hero for the hosts with a hat-trick whilst Andrew Bell also scored and are now just five points behind second place Newcastle Blue Star; Rutherford meanwhile replied through Dan Fuller, Louis Tiplady and an own-goal.

At Percy Main, the Amateurs picked up a big win as they defeated Whitley Bay A for the first time since August 2012, Paul Collinson with a brace helping them along the way, one of which came from the spot whilst Mark McDonell notched the winner with over twenty minutes remaining, replies coming from Thomas Bramley and Sven Hart.

The gap at the top meanwhile has been narrowed to nine points after the Students were held to a 3-3 draw at Seaton Delaval and Blue Star wrapped up a comfortable 4-0 home win over Shankhouse. At Delaval the hosts led through an early Andy Carr brace although Churchill Onomonu scored in-between the Carr pair whilst Lee Scott ensured the sides went in level at the break.

Bailey Morton put Delaval back in front with twenty-two minutes remaining but the leaders had the last laugh as Scott bagged his second to grab a point with five minutes left on the clock whilst at Blue Star a goal in each half from Richard Coulson helped the hosts on their way to a comfortable three points.

Dean Gallagher opened the scoring early on for the hosts whilst Adam Dobson grabbed the fourth in the 68th minute to wrap up the points.

A second half, Phil Watson brace, helped North Shields Athletic earn a point as they drew 2-2 with Ponteland United for whom Carl Vatt and Trae Rowlandson scored whilst on Friday night Phil Airey continued his impressive scoring start to life at Alnwick Town, notching the winner as they came from a goal down to defeat New Fordley 2-1, Jordan Watson having given the visitors the lead and Tyler Scarth levelling at the break, Airey winning it six minutes after the restart.


Gosforth Bohemians pulled off a big win in their home game with high-flying Blyth Spartans Reserves in one of only three league games played.

Dan Ure opened the scoring for the hosts after fifteen minutes and, although Liam Shanley levelled before the break for Spartans, the hosts continued their momentum with Alex Kennedy restoring twenty minutes from time, Tav Couling wrapping up the points from the spot in the closing minutes.

The two remaining league game both finished in 1-0 home wins as Forest Hall defeated Hexham via a Joe Thompson effort, and Liam Eason scored the only goal for Red Row Welfare against Longbenton.

Other First Division sides were on cup duty, both Alliance sides being felled in the semi-finals of the Durham Minor Cup against Crook & District League opposition, and without scoring – Middlestone Moor Masons Arms won 5-0 against Hebburn Town U23s and Shildon Railway dismissed Winlaton Vulcans 4-0.

In the Northumberland Minor Cup Bedlington fell 3-2 at home to Haltwhistle Jubilee whilst Blyth Town won 2-1 against visiting Prudhoe Youth Club, David Brown scoring twice, Sam Dibb-Fuller replying, and Cullercoats won by the odd goal in five against Wallsend Boys Club as Blake, Laws and Watson put the hosts through, Watson and Henderson with the replies.


A 4-3 win for Whitley Sporting meant the see-saw battle for the Second Division title swung back in their favour, returning to the top on Saturday afternoon (Rothbury were inactive with games in hand).

It wasn’t the only game to see an influx of goals either, seven were also netted at Stobswood as they defeated visitors Cramlington Town 5-2, Jake Baker notching a second half brace whilst six goals were also netted at Whitburn & Cleadon, they winning 4-2 against Seaton Sluice with Joe Warren grabbing a double in the second half for the victors with Callum Morgan doing a quick-fire one of his own for Sluice.

Walker notched what proved the winner for Burradon against Jesmond, winning 2-1 and the spoils were shared at Coundon, they drawing 1-1 with Ellington, Hardy and Gall with the goals.