Northumberland FA is proud to work with a number of partners and organisations to ensure we provide regular playing opportunities to females in the County.
Girls football is a key priority for Northumberland FA and we strive to provide football opportunities for females of all ages and abilities.
The Weetabix Wildcats initiative aims to get girls from the age of 5 to 11 interested in football in a fun, safe environment. Click here for details of Weetabix Wildcats in Northumberland.
There is a player pathway for young female players, from the age of eight years of age through to open age and a number of flexible formats are available including female Futsal sessions, and ladies small-sided leagues.
Northumberland FA employs a Women & Girls Football Development Officer to help organise, develop and support a wide range of opportunities for females of all ages to participate within football and provide support to clubs, players, coaches and volunteers through:
- Club Development
- Female Only Coaching Courses
- Female Coach Mentoring Programme
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Schools Football
-Northumberland Juniors Girls and Women’s Football League
- FA Skills Coaches Programme
- FA Girls’ England Talent Pathway
In Northumberland, there has been a growth in girl’s football in both schools and clubs. Examples of girls football initiatives running throughout the county include; FA Coaching Courses, School Football Leagues and Festivals, Girl’s Football Fun Days, FA Girls Football Week and Female Just Play Centres.
There is a clear player pathway for female football in Northumberland;
- The Northumberland Junior Girls Football League is an FA Charter Standard League. The League provides playing opportunities to over one hundred teams from Under 9 to Under 18 age groups, that’s approximately 1000 players playing football on a weekly basis! The league also provides 11-a-side playing opportunities for local women’s teams providing a player pathway for women’s football feeding in to the North East Regional Women’s Football League.
- The Newcastle United Foundation provides Girls Development and Advanced Girls Football Coaching Centres for players from Under 9 through to Under 17 age groups. The programmes provide extra training and playing opportunities to over 150 female players in the County. For more information on the Newcastle United Foundation Girls Development Centre Programme please contact Lisa Bell, Lisa.Bell@nufc.co.uk
For more information on girls’ and women’s football in Northumberland contact Nicola Hepworth.